Definition of sandfly in English:
noun (plural sandflies)
1A small hairy biting fly of tropical and subtropical regions, which transmits a number of diseases including leishmaniasis.
- Haemoproteus is transmitted by sandflies, or biting midges, of the genus Culicoides, and by louse-flies, both of which occur in the Lesser Antilles.
- American cutaneous leishmaniasis is transmitted by sandflies in rain forest areas mainly among mammals and occasionally humans.
- Similarly, the Mosquito Magnet mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.
2Australian /NZ another term for blackfly (sense 2.
- The highway takes you through native bush known at Fergusons Bush and then at Pukekura 25 km south of Ross, your attention will be caught by the model of the giant sandfly on the front wall of the Bushman's Centre.
- The only change I would love to see would be the end of the sandfly.
- Rosemary says go for the vitamin B and that B1 is also good to repel sandflies - take 2 100 mg tablets a day for a month before you head into sandfly affected areas.
Words that rhyme with sandflybarfly • mayfly
Definition of sandfly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.