- Both begin to doubt their sanity and their ability to stay any closer then 100 miles away from each other.
- What a capacity to maintain mental sanity in spite of pain and sadness.
- Olivia and Adam pray that she does not participate in it, fearing for her health and sanity.
- This heinous act of the murder of a little girl and the wounding of her peers go beyond the boundaries of reason and sanity.
- This would suggest that a degree of sanity and moderation may have come after the gruesome tragedy.
- The show is a chilling indictment of what happens when sanity is equated with conformity.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'health'): from Latin sanitas 'health', from sanus 'healthy'. Current senses date from the early 17th century.
Latin sanus meant ‘healthy’ which is the first recorded sense of sanity in English. Current meanings date from the early 17th century when sane was first recorded, although insane dates from the mid 16th century. Sanitary, sanitation, and sanatorium where you go to recover your health, all 19th century, come from the same root.
Words that rhyme with sanityChristianity, humanity, inanity, profanity, urbanity, vanity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.