noun (plural same)North American
- An American or Canadian whose grandparents were immigrants from Japan. Compare with nisei and issei.More example sentences
- Besides the chief instructor, most of the senior students were nisei or sansei and several of them had moved to California from Hawaii where they had earlier begun their aikido training.
- My grandchildren will be American sansei in Japan, unless one of my children or their children has children with someone of yet another nationality and so carries on that grand wandering that is native to the human family.
- As a sansei, a third-generation Japanese American, she sees no need to qualify her work as Asian American or Asian at all.
1940s: Japanese, from san 'third' + sei 'generation'.
More definitions of sanseiDefinition of sansei in:
- The US English dictionary