A large tropical African hardwood tree, with reddish-brown timber that resembles mahogany.
- Genus Entandrophragma, family Meliaceae
More example sentences
- While the ITTO study found that loggers target 35 tree species, just two, gaboon mahogany and sapele mahogany, account for over half of all logged timber.
- All products are made of three types of wood: ash from the US, beech from Germany and sapele from Africa.
- There may be other woods that have as wide a variety of figure as sapele, but I'm not aware of any.
early 20th century: from the name of a port on the Benin River, Nigeria.
Definition of sapele in:
- The US English dictionary