- (Of an organism) feeding on or obtaining nourishment from decaying organic matter: free-living worms are carnivorous, herbivorous, or saprophagousMore example sentences
- The family Anthomyiidae (Insecta: Diptera) is a globally distributed group of phytophagous, saprophagous, or coprophagous flies with over 1500 described species worldwide.
- Based on the close relationship of thrips to the lophioneurid psocopteroids, it is likely that the Triassic and Jurassic thrips were saprophagous, just as the psocopterans and merothripids are today.
- Adults and larvae of most species are facultative predators, but some are specialist predators, some are mycophagous or saprophagous or even phytophagous, occasionally damaging flowers and turf.
More definitions of saprophagousDefinition of saprophagous in:
- The US English dictionary