Definition of sarcolemma in English:
The fine transparent tubular sheath which envelops the fibres of skeletal muscles.
- The newborn larvae migrate from the host's blood vessels through the sarcolemma of striated muscle tissue, where they penetrate and encyst inside an individual muscle cell.
- Desmin and vinculin are functionally related proteins that are present in the membrane-associated dense bodies in the sarcolemma of the smooth muscle cells.
- EC coupling occurs at specialized regions where the intracellular sarcoplasmic reticulum forms junctions with the sarcolemma or, more frequently, with tubular invaginations of the sarcolemma known as transverse tubules.
mid 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- 'flesh' + lemma 'husk'.
- Example sentences
- Diffuse fluorescent uptake of procion orange in the cytoplasm of diaphragm muscle fibers identifies sarcolemmal rupture of those individual fibers.
- Additional evidence for ongoing denervation of UA muscle in OSA is provided by the significant increase in sarcolemmal N-CAM staining.
- Endotoxemia and sepsis also induce mitochondrial dysfunction, sarcolemmal injury, and weakness and fatigability of the diaphragm.
Definition of sarcolemma in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan