noun (plural sarcomas or sarcomata /sɑːˈkəʊmətə/)Medicine
A malignant tumour of connective or other non-epithelial tissue.
- Sebaceous cysts, fibromas, papillomas, adenomas, sarcomas, carcinomas, and melanomas also have been reported.
- Dacarbazine is a chemotherapeutic agent that has been successfully applied to treat various types of cancer such as Hodgkin's disease, malignant melanomas, soft tissue sarcomas and advanced neuroblastomas.
- The increases were recorded for virtually all tumour types in children, while in adolescents the major changes were seen for carcinomas, lymphomas, soft tissue sarcomas, germ-cell and CNS tumours.
- Example sentences
- When one encounters a patient with hydrocephalus with or without diffuse meningeal enhancement on radiologic studies, meningeal sarcomatosis should be considered in the differential diagnosis.
- A phase-II study for abdominal sarcomatosis in 11 patients achieved a response in 45%, albeit the follow up was relatively short.
- The angiographic findings in a case of metastatic meningeal carcinomatosis and a case of primary meningeal sarcomatosis are presented.
- Example sentences
- The carcinomatous component is almost always squamous cell carcinoma, and the sarcomatous component usually contains a pleomorphic spindle cell proliferation.
- Composite malignant tumors containing both carcinomatous and sarcomatous components are known as carcinosarcomas.
- To our knowledge, this carcinosarcoma is the seventh reported case of a primary pancreatic neoplasm with mixed carcinomatous and sarcomatous elements.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek sarkōma, from sarkoun 'become fleshy', from sarx, sark- 'flesh'.
Words that rhyme with sarcomaaroma, carcinoma, chroma, coma, comber, diploma, glaucoma, Homer, lymphoma, melanoma, misnomer, Oklahoma, Omagh, roamer, Roma, romer, soma
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.