- A period of about 18 years between repetitions of solar and lunar eclipses.More example sentences
- Total solar eclipse tracks perform consistent geographical steps within a saros, as in Figure 2.2, and there are systematic trends in other eclipse sequences.
- This period is known as the saros, a Greek word meaning ‘repetition’ that is itself derived from the Babylonian sharu.
- Referring to Figure 15-7 one sees how this eclipse echoes that of February 26, 1998, which was a saros earlier.
early 19th century: from Greek, from Babylonian šār(u) '3,600 (years)', the sense apparently based on a misinterpretation of the number.
More definitions of sarosDefinition of saros in:
- The US English dictionary