(also sartorius muscle)
- A long, narrow muscle running obliquely across the front of each thigh from the hip bone to the inside of the leg below the knee.More example sentences
- It passes between the dorsal border of the sartorius and the anterior border of the tendon of gracilis.
- The superficial branch supplies sensory innervation to the skin of the anterior thigh and motor innervation to the sartorius muscle.
- The anserine bursa is a fairly large bursa that ties behind the tendons of sartorius, gracilis, and semitendinous muscles and the tibial collateral ligament.
early 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin sartor 'tailor' (because the muscle is used when adopting a cross-legged position, earlier associated with a tailor's sewing posture).
More definitions of sartoriusDefinition of sartorius in:
- The US English dictionary