A very large quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur with a long neck and tail, small head, and massive limbs.
- Infraorder Sauropoda, suborder Sauropodomorpha, order Saurischia; e.g. apatosaurus, brachiosaurus, and diplodocus
More example sentences
- Such stomach stones or gastroliths have been reported from the gut regions or found nearby of prosauropods, sauropods and ornithopods.
- Some parts of Australia have traditions of huge reptiles suggestive of long-necked sauropods, the dinosaur group which includes Diplodocus and Apatosaurus.
- In other sauropods, the neck vertebrae are at least twice as long as they are tall, according to Rauhut.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Sauropoda (plural), from Greek sauros 'lizard' + pous, pod- 'foot'.
Definition of sauropod in:
- The US English dictionary