Mathematics & Physics
- (Of a quantity) having only magnitude, not direction.More example sentences
- However, mass is atypical scalar quantity and therefore its value will not depend on the polarization of the exciting light that is used to measure it.
nounBack to top
- A scalar quantity.More example sentences
- Together these three loci seem to fit the circumstances under which separate estimates of both mutation scalars and inheritance scalars can be obtained.
- These types are what you'd expect: scalars hold numerical values or strings, columns hold lists of numbers, grids hold two-dimensional matrices and images hold pixels.
- With multiple loci, each locus has a mutation rate scalar parameter such that the product of all mutation rate scalars is equal to 1.
mid 17th century: from Latin scalaris, from scala 'ladder' (see scale3).
More definitions of scalarDefinition of scalar in:
- The US English dictionary