noun (plural scapulae /-liː/ or scapulas)Anatomy
- technical term for shoulder blade.More example sentences
- A plate of bone extending from the medial margin of the scapula to the vertebral column has been reported (Ingersoll).
- The fourth step is to emphasize the retractor muscles of the scapula and to correct any forward-head posture.
- The humerus articulates with the scapula (shoulder blade) at the shoulder, and with the radius and the ulna at the elbow.
late 16th century: from late Latin, singular of Latin scapulae 'shoulder blades'.
More definitions of scapulaDefinition of scapula in:
- The US English dictionary