Definition of schistose in English:
(Of metamorphic rock) having a laminar structure like that of schist.
- Southwards along section towards the Sach Pass, the leucogranites gradually decrease in abundance and the pelitic rocks becomes more schistose.
- With increasing content of white mica the fabric changes from massive to schistose.
- The amphibolite is mostly medium grained, rather schistose and has a characteristic reddish hue on weathered surfaces.
- Example sentences
- Brittle faulting is subparallel to the regional subvertical schistosity, indicating that it was superimposed in a broad region that has earlier experienced ductile-dominated deformation.
- In the northern part of the range, no pervasive brittle deformation features were recognized and only local reactivations of the regional schistosity by right-lateral faulting was documented.
- Further evidence of multiphase folding is given by crenulation or microfolding with hinge zones a centimetre or so apart which crinkle an earlier cleavage or schistosity.
Definition of schistose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan