A religious system based on the seeking of self-knowledge and spiritual fulfilment through graded courses of study and training. It was founded by American science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard (1911–86) in 1955.
- Earlier this month, stunning Katie, who was raised a Catholic, admitted she had been studying Scientology.
- All religions require learning and sacrifice, and Scientology is no exception.
- There are so many specific daily results that I get from Dianetics and Scientology.
- Scientology and Scientologist are proprietary names for goods and services relating to membership of the Church of Scientology.
- Example sentences
- Non-Christians, whether they are Muslim, Jew, Taoist, Buddhist, Scientologist, atheist or whatever, will be even more offended.
- Nevertheless, Scientologists continue to use the e-meter in auditing, although some models are designed for ease of use by a single person, presumably to help with their spiritual development.
- In French lawsuits involving the Scientologists, millions of pages of evidence suddenly were missing, making it difficult for prosecutors to go forward.
From Latin scientia 'knowledge' + -logy.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Sci¦en|tol¦ogy
Definition of Scientology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.