Definition of sclerenchyma in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Strengthening tissue in a plant, formed from cells with thickened, typically lignified, walls.
- It had larger cells and more sclerenchyma and collenchyma (supporting tissue) in between the vascular bundle and epidermal cells.
- The exodermis and underlying layer of heavily lignified sclerenchyma of Oryza sativa is a constitutive feature.
- In Cayenne, development of a solid, lignified disk of sclerenchyma across the receptacle was positively associated with ease of separation in a comparison of an easy pick and a hard pick genotypes.
- Example sentences
- The structural reinforcement of the sclerenchymatous tegmen and lignified endotesta also appears to be responsible for the unrolling of the recurved margins during imbibition.
- The inner sheath, termed the sclerenchymatous bundle or mestome sheath, is colourless and contains thickened walls and extensive suberin lamella.
- A conspicuous anatomical feature associated with pepper fruit ripening was the development of a plate of sclerenchymatous tissue in the separation zone.
Definition of sclerenchyma in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan