A woody plant with evergreen leaves that are tough and thick in order to reduce water loss.
- Evergreen sclerophylls and drought semi-deciduous shrubs that shed their leaves during dry periods are the dominant plants in this region.
- A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.
- Evergreen sclerophylls are regarded as one of the most typical components of the Mediterranean-type vegetation.
- Example sentences
- It is a large, evergreen, sclerophyllous, leguminous tree of slow growth, great longevity and an extended flowering period.
- All experiments were conducted between June and July 2002 on 1-year-old leaves of P. laurocerasus (a broad-leaved sclerophyllous evergreen).
- The latter zone refers to the sclerophyllous vegetation designated as Macchia.
Early 20th century: from Greek sklēros 'hard' + phullon 'leaf'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sclero|phyll
Definition of sclerophyll in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.