- Adorn ivory or shells with carved or coloured designs: (as adjective scrimshawed) the scrimshawed jewellery and antique furniture on saleMore example sentences
- While he was scrimshawing it, he was reminded of a puzzling question which of course I don't know the answer to.
- Some sea shells, such as abalone, have been scrimshawed and horn, particularly cattle horn, is also scrimshawed.
- It has been scrimshawed and carved by the hand of this talented carver.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- Scrimshawed ivory or shells: a collection of scrimshawMore example sentences
- While collectors do appreciate the potential investment value of scrimshaw, that is not usually their primary reason for acquiring it.
- In their leisure time, though, whalemen often practised the art of scrimshaw, creating unique and beautiful works of art as well as practical and useful tools and implements.
- Nonetheless, there were interesting antique collectibles bought, such as scrimshaw you see once and don't see again.
early 19th century: of unknown origin; perhaps influenced by the surname Scrimshaw.
More definitions of scrimshawDefinition of scrimshaw in:
- The US English dictionary