1A clerk, scribe, or notary.
- His father, a scrivener, had rebelled against his father's Catholicism to become an Anglican (and been disinherited for his apostasy).
- It is also not clear why, occasionally, the scrivener found it necessary to record the family connections for some men while not so at other times.
- The first entry made by the scrivener for the town of Braga in northern Portugal, on Saturday, 5 February 1569, refers to a petition before the municipal council from Ilena Piriz.
2A person who invested money at interest for clients and lent funds to those who wanted to raise money on security.
- Note also that the scrivener recorded the trade for the male applicant but not for the two female.
- Occasionally, courts admitted shopbooks as evidence but the exception normally was narrowly applied to circumstances in which the scrivener was not available to testify.
- That was quite a concession, given that they wanted the intent of the erroneous scrivener to prevail in interpretation.
Definition of scrivener in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.