Definition of scruffy in English:
adjective (scruffier, scruffiest)
Shabby and untidy or dirty: a teenager in scruffy jeans and a baggy T-shirt
More example sentences
- He was looking down, he was scruffy, he had dirty jeans and he was not on this planet.
- He's dressed in scruffy jeans and a faded biker jacket, talking in quiet, understated tones.
- If the jeans were baggy and scruffy, the whole outfit would be unbalanced.
untidy, unkempt, bedraggled, messy, dishevelled, ungroomed, ill-groomed, sleazy, seedy, slatternly, slovenly;
dirty, squalid, filthy
British informal grotty
North American informal raggedy
- Example sentences
- A woman is approached in the street by a scruffily dressed youth who opens his mouth - and asks for directions to the local mosque.
- His bag and jacket were shiny, his top button done up, his tie scruffily fitted.
- This resulted in a situation where the higher up the management ladder you are, the more scruffily you dress at work.
Words that rhyme with scruffyfluffy, huffy, puffy, roughie, roughy, snuffy, stuffy, toughie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan