Definition of sea trout in English:
1British A European brown trout of a salmon-like migratory race. Also called salmon trout.
- Salmo trutta trutta, family Salmonidae
- Forget stockies or naturally reproducing brown trout, saltwater sea trout are a race apart.
- In the past the name game fishing was given to describe the taking of trout, sea trout and salmon by fly fishing.
- On the Moy Estuary very high tides restricted sea trout fishing at the end of the week.
2 [with modifier] North American A trout-like marine fish of the drum family occurring in the western Atlantic.
- But environmentalists claim pollution from cod farms could endanger already depleted Atlantic salmon and sea trout populations.
- Boats come in about 9 A.M. and sell fresh red snapper, sea trout, sculpin, and mackerel.
- Fish of this size have been caught by anglers targeting the chub and also by anglers fishing for the sea trout.
Definition of sea trout in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan