- 1A small marine fish with segmented bony armour, an upright posture, a curled prehensile tail, a tubular snout, and a head and neck suggestive of a horse. The male has a brood pouch in which the eggs develop.
More example sentences
- Genus Hippocampus, family Syngnathidae: many species, including the European H. ramulosus
- Andersson says similar evolutionary pressures help to explain the sexual antics of the pipefish, a close relative of the sea horse.
- And last summer the first sea horse was recorded in the Thames estuary in 30 years.
- The good news is that the partnership collaborations for sea horse and marine conservation have grown enormously.
- 2A mythical creature with a horse’s head and fish’s tail.More example sentences
- Neptune is also able to heal the injuries of living beings and transform beings into other shapes and forms (such as when he transformed a white stallion into a sea horse).
- The gods were frequently portrayed as riding the mythical Hippocampus, a magical sea horse first recognized by anthropologists in early Etruscan wall-paintings.
More definitions of seahorseDefinition of seahorse in:
- The US English dictionary