Definition of season in English:
- Now most places in the world you have four seasons; winter, spring, summer, fall but not so in Barbados.
- When I think of Earth, I think of the variety of the land we have and how it relates to the four major seasons, winter, spring, summer and autumn.
- The following table provides a useful guide to fluctuations in pollen levels in Ireland during the spring, summer and autumn seasons.
- A variety of special articles are featured during religious festival seasons.
- Those managing the illegal operations say that the rainy season is the peak period for removing trees from the forest.
- Father X is not a fan of the modern season and its attendant festivities.
- With the cricket season almost upon us, players all over the borough are chomping at the bit.
- He also played on the St. Otteran's basketball team for several seasons.
- A decade ago a peppy 10-year-old might divide his play among soccer, basketball, and baseball seasons.
- Shiva is offered special food made from the fruits of the season, root vegetables, and coconuts, during ritual worship.
- These trees provide fruit only during certain seasons, but last forever.
- With half of the season already over, fruit lovers feel they have to wait till next year to enjoy the delicious mangoes.
- Last night saw the social event of the season in Birmingham.
- The inauguration is certainly shaping up to be the social event of the season.
- Her parties were always the social event of the season.
- She has come into her first season and like all female cats of the oriental persuasion, she is busy letting everyone know about it.
- One of the animals was a puppy, but the others were adults, and three were bitches in season.
- Male apes never care whether a female is a virgin or not as long as she is in season.
- I've watched five entire seasons of the show in the course of these reviews, viewing every minute of every episode.
- For the show's fan base, those who remember it from back when, it's great to have the entire season on disc.
- Even after watching an entire season of this show, I'm still not sure why Jesse is supposed to be such a draw for viewers.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Salt is good for seasoning food; just a little brings out the best in it.
- Lightly oil and season the steak with salt and black pepper then cook on a hot grill or ridged grill pan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, plus some salt and pepper to season, and stir well until combined.
- Even well seasoned firewood can be ruined by bad storage.
- But, if you must, please make sure it's dry, seasoned wood, and only burn in an EPA-certified wood-burning device.
- It has for long been thought that, as wood is seasoned outdoors and turns grey, darkening the ground beneath it, harsh tannins are being leached out of the wood.
This is from Old French seson, from a Latin term which initially meant ‘sowing’ but which later came to mean ‘time of sowing’, from serere ‘to sow’. The sense ‘add savoury flavouring to (a dish)’ was in early use; it comes from the primary sense in Old French which was ‘to ripen, make (fruit) palatable by the influence of the seasons’.
for all seasons
- Suitable in or appropriate for every kind of weather: a coat for all seasonsMore example sentences
- It has to widen its spectrum catering to fabrics for all seasons.
- It's one of her really awesome awning stripe patterns in a bucket style bag and the colors are really rich and bold, so it should be good for all seasons, not just summer.
- Shirts for all seasons in attractive designs in light and dark shades are available in the showroom.
- 1.1Adaptable to any circumstance: a singer for all seasonsMore example sentences
- He was indeed a man for all seasons, but he was also a quiet unassuming gentleman.
- But Olbrechts was clearly a man for all seasons.
- The President's single ally in the Government was Henry Kissinger - loyal to the end and the Head of State's man for all seasons, all purposes.
- Used as an expression of goodwill at Christmas or the New Year.Example sentences
- The Chamber of Commerce would like to extend season's greetings to all and look forward to a bumper Christmas trade in the town over the coming month.
- Happy holidays, season's greetings, and oh, yes, merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
- Some 1,500 leading members of Malaysia's large Christian community have received season's greetings from Abdullah.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.