Definition of second position in English:
1 Ballet A posture in which the feet form a straight line, being turned out to either side with the heels separated by the distance of a small step.
- Once you're warm, you can stretch your groin muscles doing the straddle position by standing up with feet parallel in second position, bending one leg while leaving the other straight.
- From the first position, big jump into the second position plié.
- Finding the right pointe shoe accessories, like finding your second position, takes practice.
1.1A position of the arms in which they are held out to each side of the body, curving forwards and slightly upwards.
- The arms are usually in an extended second position with the wrists slightly lifted when she is in the air.
- In second position, you have to get the elbow up.
- The students place their fingers at the base of their ribs and then extend their arms out to a second position that is somewhat low.
2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the first position, enabling a higher-pitched set of notes to be played.
- Technical issues include some position work, with a couple well-chosen opportunities to access second position through finger substitutions or half-step shifts.
Definition of second position in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan