- A thought process connecting the preconscious and conscious, governed by the reality principle and reflecting the decision-making and problem-solving activity of the ego.More example sentences
- Freud made a sharp distinction between two varieties of mental functioning which he called primary process and secondary process.
- On the other hand, if the immigrant or refugee has ‘depressive guilt,’ ‘time is formed in accordance with the laws of the secondary process (conscious).’
- A procreative analogy in all this was recognised by Marion Milner, who said that our primary and secondary processes need each other ‘like man and woman need each other.’
More definitions of secondary processDefinition of secondary process in:
- The US English dictionary