- Christians had gone astray and corrupted the God's scriptures by dividing into different sects and beliefs.
- Sadhus belong to many different sects or orders.
- For instance, there were families, which did not mind much about the brides and bridegrooms belonging to different sects.
- Scotland was chosen as the film's setting because of its fundamentalist religious sects and remote communities.
- As Baptists, our beginnings are traced to dissenting sects of English and European Protestants.
- The confused situation gave dissenting sects the opportunity to establish themselves.
- They have tightened security measures to control the influence of extreme political sects among the uprooted multitudes.
- This was undertaken by far-left groups - small Trotskyist and Maoist sects that were moving far ahead of the mainstream.
- The dystopian political program of this utterly marginal, extremist sect has absolutely no traction with anyone of significance.
second from Middle English:
This comes from Latin secundus ‘following, second’, from sequi ‘to follow’, which gives its base sense. The time word (Late Middle English) is from medieval Latin secunda (minuta) ‘second (minute)’, referring to the ‘second’ operation of dividing an hour by 60. The verb (early 19th century) as in seconded the motion is from French en second ‘in the second rank (of officers)’. The use was originally military involving the removal of an officer temporarily from his regiment to an extra-regimental appointment. Sect (Middle English), originally ‘a following’ is also from sequi, as is persecute (Late Middle English) ‘to follow with hostility’, and sequel.
Words that rhyme with sectaffect, bisect, bull-necked, collect, confect, connect, correct, defect, deflect, deject, detect, direct, effect, eject, elect, erect, expect, infect, inflect, inject, inspect, interconnect, interject, intersect, misdirect, neglect, object, perfect, project, prospect, protect, reflect, reject, respect, resurrect, select, subject, suspect, transect, unchecked, Utrecht
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sect
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.