Definition of sectionalism in English:
Restriction of interest to a narrow sphere; undue concern with local interests or petty distinctions at the expense of general well-being: the rise of democracy, capitalism, and sectionalism [with modifier]: this line stressed a national interest rather than anti-gay sectionalism
More example sentences
- Only a prince could be captain and stand apart from the competing interests of sectionalism, race, caste, creed and customs.
- Concerning sectionalism and the Civil War, no attempt is made to show how the sharpening divide between North and South shaped theological ideas.
- The initial assumption of this relationship was one of sectionalism although the convenor noted that all of the shop stewards worked together,
sectionalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- A contrast is usually made with nationalist or sectionalist terrorist activity or insurgencies.
- That should be worthy of note without sectionalist carping.
- It brought together antislavery sectionalists and other northern dissenters from the old party system.
Definition of sectionalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan