- 1An area or portion that is distinct from others: operations in the southern sector of the North SeaMore example sentences
- The belt of southern sectors from Sectors 31 to 49 and Sectors 20, 21, 22 and 23 were affected.
- Illegal rooms have been constructed by city residents on open terraces of the existing block of flats in the entire belt of the southern sectors.
- Combined they account for a huge portion of the beef sector which overall makes up about 90% of meat output in the Irish market.
- 1.1A distinct part or branch of a nation’s economy or society or of a sphere of activity such as education: the government aimed to reassure the industrial and commercial sectorMore example sentences
- As a result, the private education services sector is growing at around 30 percent per annum.
- They also protested against government plans to privatise the public health sector.
- Not that the financial services sector had been slow in its technology uptake.
- 1.2 Military A subdivision of an area for military operations.More example sentences
- The First Battalion of the Black Watch is based in the British sector of southern Iraq, near Basra.
- Smith described the fighting in the southern sector as heavy with ‘lots of casualties’ among al-Qaida forces.
- This flight concentrated on the role usually played by the helicopter over the southern sector in response to naval tasking.
- 1.3 Computing A subdivision of a track on a magnetic disk.More example sentences
- With the appropriate tools, you can create diskettes that have 80 sectors and 24 tracks per sector, giving 1,920KB per floppy.
- The search is complete: the hard disk knows what sector, on what track, on what platter the data resides.
- In other words, you do not have to worry about the cylinder, track or sector configuration of the disk drives.
- 2The plane figure enclosed by two radii of a circle or ellipse and the arc between them.More example sentences
- For example, Figure 4a shows three such rings formed from the sectors and rectangle in Figure 3a.
- The protein molecules are modeled as 120 deg sectors of a circle.
- Each group was made up of units designated by letters, which were then assigned appropriate sectors on circles of different sizes.
- 3A mathematical instrument consisting of two arms hinged at one end and marked with sines, tangents, etc. for making diagrams.More example sentences
- He also learned on his own how to use a compass, sector, and other instruments to make astronomical predictions, including that of eclipses.
- More example sentences
- Some governments incorporate regional and sectoral variations in their unemployment policies.
- Local and sectoral depressions and the fall in equity prices initiate doubts as to whether a new era really has been achieved.
- Regional and sectoral disparities create a complex forward dynamic for the Chinese labor market.