noun (plural securities)
- 1 [mass noun] The state of being free from danger or threat: the system is designed to provide maximum security against toxic spills job securityMore example sentences
- The only true security against nuclear dangers is an enforceable ban on all nuclear weapons.
- According to him however, Government has to guarantee security against international threats.
- What should we be doing to ensure vaccine safety and security against external threats?
- 1.1The safety of a state or organization against criminal activity such as terrorism, theft, or espionage: a matter of national securityMore example sentences
- Nicknamed the Jersey Girls, they became experts on national security and terrorism.
- President Bush put terrorism and national security at the center of congressional races.
- Wealth is therefore an instrument in the creation of national security and national welfare.
- 1.2Procedures followed or measures taken to ensure the security of a state or organization: amid tight security the presidents met in the Colombian resortMore example sentences
- A huge team of people will ensure that the necessary security measures are in place.
- Elea then set up a series of security measures to ensure that sure an occurrence could never happen again.
- City institutions were just told to make sure that their existing checks and security procedures were working.
- 1.3The state of feeling safe, stable, and free from fear or anxiety: this man could give her the emotional security she neededMore example sentences
feeling of safety, feeling of ease, absence of worry/anxiety, peace of mind, freedom from doubt, certainty, happiness, comfort, confidence
- You are able to drop old fears and apprehension about material and emotional security.
- For one thing, we are afraid, and in times of fear we crave security above all.
- The problems could relate to declining health, declining income or declining emotional security.
- 2A thing deposited or pledged as a guarantee of the fulfilment of an undertaking or the repayment of a loan, to be forfeited in case of default.More example sentences
- The money was being used as security for costs until the appeal was completed.
- The plaintiffs say that this property could be put up for security for costs.
- David has offered the Ace Patent to me as security against this money, which, quite frankly, I am not prepared to accept.
- 3 (often securities) A certificate attesting credit, the ownership of stocks or bonds, or the right to ownership connected with tradable derivatives.More example sentences
- The new rules also make donating mutual funds, stocks, bonds and other securities more attractive.
- For those with an interest in individual securities, there are stocks and bonds to meet every need.
- The Fed uses this cash to purchase securities from primary government bond dealers.
on security of something
- Using something as a guarantee: strict conditions attached to loans made on security of goods remaining the property of the borrowersMore example sentences
- They could lend on security of shares and stocks held by jobbers to allow them to settle differences at the fortnightly settlements.
- Their money has gone to a particular borrower, on security of a particular property, with a particular mortgage.
late Middle English: from Old French securite or Latin securitas, from securus 'free from care' (see secure).