noun[mass noun] Geology
- The refraction of elastic waves on passing between formations of rock having different seismic velocities.More example sentences
- Gravity and seismic refraction studies have shown that segments tend to have the thickest crust (about 8 km at slow-spreading ridges) at their centres and thin crust at their ends.
- Large amounts of seismic refraction and reflection data have greatly improved knowledge of the crustal structure along the outer Voring Basin and the Voring Marginal High.
- It extends upwards from a depth of about 6 km, at which depth Precambrian crystalline basement is predicted from seismic refraction studies.
More definitions of seismic refractionDefinition of seismic refraction in:
- The US English dictionary