Definition of self-assembly in English:
1The construction of an object, especially a piece of furniture, from materials sold in kit form: you can buy it as a flat-pack for self-assembly
More example sentences
- With portable flat-pack, self-assembly furniture and increase in built-in storage space, the wheel has almost turned full circle.
- The main advantage of Microsoft products is that, like IKEA self-assembly furniture, they are character-building.
- When it comes to piecing together a performance, they can, at their worst, resemble a befuddled man confronted by self-assembly furniture.
1.1 Biology The spontaneous formation of a ribosome, virus, or other body in a medium containing the appropriate components.
- Its eight cysteine residues form four disulfide bridges that prevent spontaneous self-assembly in solution and thus account for the controlled assembly at hydrophilic-hydrophobic interfaces.
- We have also demonstrated a new application of these tethered membrane nanotubules, namely as biosensors to probe the real time dynamics of DNA self-assembly.
- As has been commented on earlier, self-assembly of the cyclic peptides into a synthetic channel proceeds through the formation of eight intersubunit backbone-backbone hydrogen bonds.
- Example sentences
- In contrast to the SMBVs, however, the membrane of Lipobead self-assembles without any homogenization, probably by using the anchors as pinning centers.
- In vitro, fibrinogen self-assembles into a cross-linked and branched semiflexible fibrin network upon activation by thrombin.
- The new ink Xerox has developed is based on a polythiophene semi-conductor, which self-assembles into ordered nano-particles that are stable even when dispersed in liquid.