noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- The migration of constituent atoms or molecules within the bulk of a substance, especially in a crystalline solid.More example sentences
- Supported lipid monolayers were analyzed in terms of the lateral self-diffusion of lipid molecules as a function of relative humidity.
- Changes in membrane electrostatics, lateral heterogeneities, and binding of solutes influence the lipid self-diffusion.
- We present a method to study water-swollen biological porous structures using NMR to determine the amount and self-diffusion of water within the porous objects.
More definitions of self-diffusionDefinition of self-diffusion in:
- The US English dictionary