Definition of self-incompatible in English:
(Of a plant or species) unable to be fertilized by its own pollen.
- However, there are a significant number of exceptions to the UI ‘rule’ that pistils of self-incompatible taxa inhibit pollen from self-compatible taxa.
- Clusters of genetically identical plants, for example, limit the number of mates available to self-incompatible species with limited pollen dispersal.
- Ideally seed orchards should contain only self-incompatible trees to eliminate production of selfed seed.
- Example sentences
- They may also have roles in pollen tube self-incompatibility and in plant defence responses.
- Gametophytic self-incompatibility is a widespread mechanism in flowering plants that prevents self-fertilization and promotes out-crossing.
- This cryptic self-incompatibility may effectively reduce geitonogamous self-fertilization, because stigmas probably receive outcross and geitonogamous pollen simultaneously.
Definition of self-incompatible in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan