Definition of self-portrait in English:
A portrait that an artist produces of themselves.
- So notable was this presentation of self that a number of artists painted self-portraits in which they attempted to make themselves look like Rubens.
- It is a self-portrait, with the artist depicted with closed eyes, and he initially appears asleep.
- Kim's oil paintings are detailed self-portraits, which, she said, tend to show a lot of skin.
- Example sentences
- They construct poetics that ‘dissolve’ the authorial self, deliberately subverting the conventional genres of autobiography, self-portraiture and lyric confession.
- They also show her affinity to artists like Beckmann and Rembrandt, for whom self-portraiture (in prints as well as other mediums) provided a rich vein of material and a vehicle for formal invention.
- One of the most interesting examples occurs in her chapter on Andrea Mantegna, an artist much given to self-portraiture and with a reputation for irony and wit.
Definition of self-portrait in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan