(in full sella turcica /ˈtəːkɪkə/)
noun (plural sellae /ˈsɛliː/ or sellae turcicae /ˈtəːkɪkiː/)Anatomy
- A depression in the sphenoid bone, containing the pituitary gland.More example sentences
- The basisphenoid bears a deep, central depression at this point called the sella turcica or pituitary fossa.
- The superior part of the dorsum sellae may be a separate bone or it may be joined to the petrous portion of the temporal bone.
- Behind the dorsum sellae is a shallow depression, the clivus, which slopes obliquely backward, and is continuous with the groove on the basioccipital (basilar portion of the occipital bone).
late 17th century: from Latin, 'saddle', (in full) 'Turkish saddle'.
More definitions of sellaDefinition of sella in:
- The US English dictionary