- Denoting an oil or gas drilling platform or barge with submerged hollow pontoons able to be flooded with water when the vessel is anchored on site in order to provide stability: familiar four-legged semi-submersible rigsMore example sentences
- They are working on the first semi-submersible oil platform to be completely built in Brazil.
- Our destination was a semi-submersible oil rig, by which I mean that most of it, two enormous hollow vessels, each the size of a warship, floated beneath the surface.
- The first is a custom-built Assembly and Command Ship, and the second is the Launch Platform, a semi-submersible vessel that is one of the world's largest oceangoing launch platforms.
nounBack to top
- A semi-submersible oil rig: support vessels would include a semi-submersible for drillingMore example sentences
- There is some medium-to-heavy engineering work being done by the firms who overhaul the semi-submersibles, but the rest is classic light industry.
- To see the kelp forest and its many colorful fish, try the semi-submersible; it is just that - a submarine-shaped vessel whose immersed hull is lined with picture windows.
- You can also learn to drive a speedboat, peer below the waters in a semi-submersible, or you can rent a car - you really can't get lost, just follow the paved road that circles the island.
More definitions of semi-submersibleDefinition of semi-submersible in:
- The US English dictionary