1A half of a circle or of its circumference.
- It is a complete circle and then down on the bottom half there is a semicircle with a little circle above it.
- His point is well taken, for if circles were defined in terms of semicircles, then presumably semicircles would be defined in terms of the quarter-circles of which they are composed, and so on, ad infinitum.
- It is well burnished only on the exterior body, which is decorated with a series of engraved ticked circles and semicircles.
1.1A set of objects arranged in a semicircle: chairs were in a semicircle round the hearth
More example sentences
- The patara ruin has rows of stone seats arranged in a semicircle, like the chambers of the American Congress.
- I'm sat in one of those chairs with a little side table to rest your notebook on, arranged in a semicircle in a darkened room.
- Tables have been arranged in a semicircle around the bench rather than in the normal linear fashion.
Definition of semicircle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.