Definition of septarium in English:
noun (plural septaria /-rɪə/)Geology
A concretionary nodule, typically of ironstone, having radial cracks filled with calcite or another mineral.
- Phosphatic nodules, large dolostone septaria, iron sulfide nodules, and crystal-lined vugs are present.
- Iron oxide nodules are commonly septaria, exhibiting networks of thin veins of coarsely granular calcite.
- Large dolostone septaria and iron sulfide nodules occur in the Late Devonian Huron Shale.
- Example sentences
- Consequently, they are only readily detected in septarian cracks and vugs that show an incomplete paragenesis.
- These are found rarely in large septarian concretions in the Huron Shale in north-central Ohio near Milan, in Huron County.
- The areas along fault planes were subjected to a shearing action that produced a pattern of fracturing that is different from the desiccation cracking of a normal septarian concretion.
Definition of septarium in:
- US English dictionary