Definition of septarium in English:
noun (plural septaria sɛpˈtɛːrɪə)Geology
A concretionary nodule, typically of ironstone, having radial cracks filled with calcite or another mineral.
- Phosphatic nodules, large dolostone septaria, iron sulfide nodules, and crystal-lined vugs are present.
- Iron oxide nodules are commonly septaria, exhibiting networks of thin veins of coarsely granular calcite.
- Large dolostone septaria and iron sulfide nodules occur in the Late Devonian Huron Shale.
- Example sentences
- Consequently, they are only readily detected in septarian cracks and vugs that show an incomplete paragenesis.
- These are found rarely in large septarian concretions in the Huron Shale in north-central Ohio near Milan, in Huron County.
- The areas along fault planes were subjected to a shearing action that produced a pattern of fracturing that is different from the desiccation cracking of a normal septarian concretion.
Definition of septarium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan