- A tank, typically underground, in which sewage is collected and allowed to decompose through bacterial activity before draining by means of a soakaway.More example sentences
- The Environmental Protection Agency blames agriculture waste, septic tanks and overloaded sewage treatment works for much of the pollution, which also extends to 13 tidal areas around the coast.
- They also help to promote the growth of certain plants by fixing nitrogen in the soil, to purify water in sewage treatment plants and septic tanks, and to break down oil after accidental spills.
- It monitored the water and assessed the impact of leakage from landfill, sewage plants and septic tanks, and spreading agricultural fertilisers and chemicals on land.
More definitions of septic tankDefinition of septic tank in:
- The US English dictionary