- 1Isolate or hide away: she is sequestered in deepest Dorset the artist sequestered himself in his studio for two yearsMore example sentences
- In fact, practically every story written on her lately has breathlessly played up how she sequestered herself in a cabin in the woods near Ottawa in the months leading up to making the album.
- He then sequestered himself in a cave for nine years and sat gazing at the wall.
- So they actually bought their own small roulette wheel, sequestered themselves in their rooms at the Pension Russe, spent hours practicing, and returned to play day after day.
- 2 another term for sequestrate. their property was sequestered by ParliamentMore example sentences
- After the war in 1944 German property in Belgium was sequestered, and the shares in the subsidiary sold.
- That runs counter to the finding of the judge that he has realisable assets in a certain amount in excess of those sums which have been sequestered.
- Hence, several farms have not been able to sell their milk, which was sequestered by the local health authorities and destroyed.
- 3 Chemistry Form a chelate or other stable compound with (an ion, atom, or molecule) so that it is no longer available for reactions: non-precipitating water softeners use complex phosphates to sequester calcium and magnesium ions (as adjective sequestering) the organic sequestering agent EDTAMore example sentences
- Such reversible, switchable metal-ion binding activity will lead to systems that can sequester metal ions while in the avid form and to systems that can exchange metal ions rapidly while in the other.
- We observed subunit dissociation directly in excess vitamin D binding protein to sequester monomers and preclude association reactions.
- One of the interesting properties of melanins is their ability to sequester metal ions.
nounUS Back to top
- A general cut in government spending: if the budget deal hadn’t gone through, there would have been a sequester of at least $100 billionMore example sentences
- And what we ended up with by default was this sequester and the fiscal cliff because the parties as currently arranged, couldn't make a deal on stimulus.
- If Congress wants to help the U.S. economy, the best thing it can do right now is implement this sequester.
- Now Washington is less than two weeks away from austerity in the form of the sequester.
late Middle English: from Old French sequestrer or late Latin sequestrare 'commit for safekeeping', from Latin sequester 'trustee'.