The quality or state of being serious: we are aware of the seriousness of the situation she replied with deadly seriousness
More example sentences
- Calls are supposed to be dealt with by nurses who assess the seriousness of cases before advising callers what to do.
- At first the idea seems cold and distant, perhaps robbing death of its seriousness.
- This action marks the change to a new seriousness on both sides of the struggle.
solemnity, solemnness, earnestness, graveness, gravity, gravitas, soberness, sobriety, sombreness, sternness, grimness, dourness, humourlessness; thoughtfulness, preoccupation, pensivenessimportance, significance, consequence, momentousness, moment, weightiness, weight; urgency, crucialness, vitalnessseverity, severeness, gravity, graveness, acuteness, grievousness, extremity, danger, dangerousness, perilousnessearnestness, sincerity, wholeheartedness, genuineness; commitment, firmness, resolution, resolve, determination
in all seriousness
- Very seriously; not as a joke: I ask this question in all seriousnessMore example sentences
- Victory, however, was not, in all seriousness, an option.
- I am, in all seriousness, tired of being a grown up.
- I ask you in all seriousness to reconsider your ruling.