- A mesothelial tissue which lines certain internal cavities of the body, forming a smooth, transparent, two-layered membrane lubricated by a fluid derived from serum. The peritoneum, pericardium, and pleura are serous membranes.More example sentences
- Epithelial cysts originate from the surface layer of mucous or serous membranes, are usually benign, and include epidermoid cysts, retention cysts, and congenital cysts.
- They have also been reported as primary neoplasms in numerous other sites, including breast, thyroid, heart, lung, pulmonary artery, liver, spleen, kidney, adrenal gland, uterus, ovary, vagina, testis, bone, and serous membranes.
- The fibroblasts, which in the serous membranes generally seem to be less differentiated than in the common loose connective tissue of the subcutis near the capillaries, may sometimes also contain a few carbon granules.
More definitions of serous membraneDefinition of serous membrane in:
- The US English dictionary