noun[mass noun] Geology
- A dark, typically greenish metamorphic rock, consisting largely of serpentine or related minerals, formed when mafic igneous rocks are altered by water.More example sentences
- It has also been found in silica-poor igneous rocks, such as syenite, nepheline syenite, serpentinite, and lamprophyre.
- Compositionally, the turbidites are mostly feldspathic litharenites with trace amounts of serpentinite, anorthosite and mafic volcanic clasts.
- The resulting rock, called serpentinite, has a much lower density than the original peridotite, thereby increasing the relative buoyancy of the future ophiolite - and with this its chances of obduction.
More definitions of serpentiniteDefinition of serpentinite in:
- The US English dictionary