- A small marine fan worm which lives in a twisted shell-like tube, typically in colonies, with retractable tentacles for filter-feeding.
More example sentences
- Family Serpulidae, class Polychaeta
- In addition, from a uniformitarian viewpoint, it seems more likely that the Figuroa tubes are those of vestimentiferans rather than serpulids.
- The organism may have extended a filtering organ out of the single opening as a modern serpulid does from its tube.
- In addition, the tubes of serpulids have distinct lamellae in cross-section.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Serpulidae (plural), from late Latin serpula 'small serpent', from Latin serpere 'to creep'.