1.1North American A waiter or waitress.
- I want to thank you the waiters, the servers everyone was so nice and kind.
- If bartenders and servers are insufficiently trained, every aspect of the operation suffers.
- The set up crew stayed behind to act as servers, which gave the host and hostess time to interact with their guests.
1.2 Christian Church A person assisting the celebrant at the celebration of the Eucharist.
- Have you considered being a cup bearer, alter server, Eucharistic minister, and/or reader?
- The altar servers were Ashling and Niamh Farrell and Nellie Casey.
- He also thanked the choir, the reader, the collectors, Eucharistic ministers, altar servers and all present.
2A computer or computer program which manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network: the software runs on a variety of Unix servers
More example sentences
- When I go to the Macintosh, I can see the Linux server and access any file I want from it.
- Access to reboot these servers remotely was not part of our job description.
- Sales of storage systems, laptops, servers, software and printers jumped as well.
Words that rhyme with serverfervour (US fervor), Minerva, Nerva, observer, swerver
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ser¦ver
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.