- 1Constituting number seven in a sequence; 7th: his seventh goal of the season the seventh of June he was the seventh of eight childrenMore example sentences
- Roslea is the site of an ancient church and convent dating back to the seventh century.
- Laws made in the seventh century could finally give way to the needs of the 21st.
- At the beginning of the seventh century St. Gobban founded a monastery at Leighlin Bridge.
- 1.1The seventh finisher or position in a race or competition: Jo Richardson came seventhMore example sentences
- Sunline came out of the Pukekohe race and then finished seventh in the Hong Kong Cup.
- Briton Steve Ovett finished fifth and Sriram Singh was seventh in that memorable race.
- In Athens, her Olympic career ended when she finished seventh in her 100m semi-final.
- 1.4 Music The note which is higher by a seventh than the tonic of a diatonic scale or root of a chord.More example sentences
- The work lies far closer, at least in its harmonic thought, to American Modernism (say, Copland's music of the Twenties) than to what we might expect from familiar Creston - diatonic chords leavened with major sevenths and ninths.
- 1.5 Music A chord in which the seventh note of the scale forms an important component.More example sentences
- It's got a great G major ending with a couple of Gershwinian sevenths and they just adored it.
- Heard in this context, it involves the destruction and re-incarnation of the melody; at the close it appears over and above a series of jazz pianist sevenths.
- Practicing fourths and consecutive sevenths challenges the ear in ways that sixths and thirds don't, in addition to enhancing hand stability.
- 2Each of seven equal parts into which something is or may be divided.More example sentences
- The Plovdiv region alone concentrates a seventh of the arable land and 14 per cent of the labour resources of this country.
- He was critical of the small quotas, which would mean that one vessel could catch a seventh of the total for certain species in a single fishing trip.
- During his long reign he commandeered nearly a seventh of the land area.
in seventh heaven
- see heaven.
More definitions of seventhDefinition of seventh in:
- The US English dictionary