- 1A small bulb which resembles an onion and is used for pickling or as a substitute for onion.More example sentences
- Saute until the shells begin to brown and add the onion, shallot, scallions, jalapeño pepper, and garlic.
- Add the onion, shallot, scallions, fennel, ginger, and garlic and gently sauté until tender, making sure not to brown.
- Other choices include heavy cropping small tomatoes that don't need pinching out, dwarf beans, leeks, courgettes, spring onions, shallots, garlic and radishes.
- 2The plant which produces shallots, each mature bulb producing a cluster of smaller bulbs.
More example sentences
- Allium ascalonicum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- Fall planted garlic and shallots will develop strong root systems in the fall, spend the winter underground, and then spring up at the earliest signs of the arrival of spring.
- Happily it's also easy to grow onions, garlic, and their cousins such as chives, leeks, and shallots in home gardens.
mid 17th century: shortening of eschalot, from French eschalotte, alteration of Old French eschaloigne (in Anglo-Norman French scaloun: see scallion).
More definitions of shallotDefinition of shallot in:
- The US English dictionary