Definition of Shan in English:
noun (plural same or Shans)
1A member of a people living mainly in northern Burma (Myanmar) and adjacent parts of southern China.
- The Shans migrated into Myanmar from China, to the north, many centuries ago, and settled in the valleys.
- A village settled by the Shans from Burma's Shan States in the early nineteenth century, Khun Yuam transformed itself into a small trading town.
- The Allies supported Burmese guerrillas (largely composed of Kachins, Karens, Shans, Chins, Lushais, and Palaungs), who were able to wreak havoc behind Japanese lines.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Shan or their language.
- Children who do attend schools run by the Burmese government are likely to learn in Burmese rather than the Shan language.
- It was in Shan state, a remote area that's on the periphery of government control, so they were very critical of the government and didn't feel like they were going to get in any trouble for speaking out.
- Two nights before we left Myanmar we had the privilege of staying in an army outfit in a jungle in Shan state; a great experience.
Words that rhyme with ShanAbadan, Abidjan, adhan, Amman, Antoine, Arne, Aswan, Avon, Azerbaijan, Baltistan, Baluchistan, Bantustan, barn, Bhutan, Dagestan, darn, dewan, Farne, guan, Hahn, Hanuman, Hindustan, Huascarán, Iban, Iran, Isfahan, Juan, Kazakhstan, khan, Koran, Kurdistan, Kurgan, Kyrgyzstan, macédoine, Mahon, maidan, Marne, Michoacán, Oman, Pakistan, pan, Pathan, Qumran, Rajasthan, Siân, Sichuan, skarn, soutane, Sudan, Tai'an, t'ai chi ch'uan, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Taklimakan, tarn, Tatarstan, Tehran, Tenochtitlán, Turkestan, Turkmenistan, tzigane, Uzbekistan, Vientiane, yarn, Yinchuan, yuan, Yucatán
Definition of Shan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.