Entry from US English dictionary
noun (plural same or Shawnees)
- 1A member of an American Indian people living formerly in the eastern US and now chiefly in Oklahoma.More example sentences
- Several tribes, especially the Cherokees and Creeks in the South and the Shawnees, Kickapoos, Miamis, and others north of the Ohio River, held substantial military power.
- Pontiac himself claimed to have waged war ‘solely on repeated invitations made me by the Delawares, Iroquois, and Shawnees.’
- This Indian Territory was where eastern Indian tribes such as the Kickapoos, Delawares, and Shawnees lived.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Shawnee or their language.More example sentences
- On 7 February 1778, Boone and thirty salt makers were captured by Shawnee Indians.
- Cave's research brings to life many familiar figures, including Shawnee warrior Tecumseh and his prophet brother Tenskwatawa, along with their ultimate nemesis William Henry Harrison.
- Alone among prominent Shawnee chiefs, Blue Jacket gave his support to the Prophet and his brother Tecumseh.
the name in Delaware.