Definition of shebeen in English:
1(Especially in Ireland, Scotland, and South Africa) an unlicensed establishment or private house selling alcohol and typically regarded as slightly disreputable.
- There in the shebeen they sold poteen and punch while in the pubs, beer and spirits were available.
- Joe would hang out in the many shebeens (unlicensed drinking venues) in the area, and one of his early influences was the sound of Duke Vin, a local resident who introduced the first reggae sound system to Britain.
- While transporting Brennan to the assizes at Clonmel, his escort stopped to rest at a shebeen (an unlicensed or informal pub) and allowed him to enjoy his pipe.
1.1(In South Africa) an informal licensed drinking place in a township.
- Mahog is brandy as served in township shebeens (many now legalized as taverns) and possibly from English mahogany.
- In other cases members were drunk at shebeens or taverns when their guns were stolen.
- Time to control the number of shebeens in the townships, and provide training to community members how to drink ‘responsibly’.
late 18th century: from Anglo-Irish síbín, from séibe 'mugful'.
Definition of shebeen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan