Definition of shell-shocked in English:
1Suffering from shell shock.
- The film is about a shell-shocked WWI veteran, who becomes obsessed with restoring the intricate mechanical Harrison clocks, regardless of the personal cost.
- He returned shell-shocked, eligible for a full pension.
- The term "shell shocked" became well known during the Vietnam War.
1.1Shocked or confused because of a sudden alarming experience: he told shell-shocked investors that the company needed still more money to survive the year
More example sentences
- Each film was a devastating experience which left me almost shell-shocked.
- Stand-off Paul Cooke's conversion was astray, providing some relief for the shell-shocked Bulls.
- Jol looked shell-shocked, unsure whether to laugh or cry.
First World War: with reference to exposure to shellfire.
Definition of shell-shocked in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan